Housing Choice Voucher Program

HCV Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Listed below are FAQs related to the HCV Program for those interested in applying for assistance through the HCV program. If you are already on the waiting list or already have a voucher, please refer to the FAQ located in the “Resident Resources” section of the website. If you have already applied but do not yet have a voucher, contact us at 916-440-1390 for additional assistance.

How to Apply/Waiting List Information

Eligibility Information

Finding a Place to Rent

Contact Information for the HCV Program

Reasonable Accommodation

Fair Housing Resources

Quick Links:

Affordability Worksheet

For a list of housing available to rent, please click here.

Small Area Fair Market Rents (SAFMR)

Notice of Payment Standard Change

Payment Standards

HUD Notice PIH-2018-01

Opportunity Zip Codes Map

Q & A for Landlords

Q & A for Participants

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program (formerly known as Section 8) provides assistance to very low-income individuals and families to enable them to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private rental housing market. In Sacramento, the HCV program for the City and County of Sacramento (including all incorporated cities in the County) is operated by the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) acting as the Housing Authority of the County of Sacramento. The HCV program includes both Tenant Based Vouchers and the Project Based Vouchers.

Tenant Based Vouchers – this program provides housing assistance on behalf of the family or individual and participants are free to choose any housing unit in the County where the owner agrees to rent under the program and that meets program requirements, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The housing subsidy is paid to the private landlord directly by SHRA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. For information on how to apply click here.

Project Based Vouchers – This program provides housing assistance at specific privately owned affordable housing communities. For information on how to apply click here.

For regular updates about wait list openings/closings or changes, follow us on Facebook and/or  Twitter.

For information regarding the local policies that govern the HCV program, please go here for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Administrative Plan and Five-Year Plan and other related financial documents.


Translate »