Resources for Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program Participants

SHRA administers the Housing Choice Voucher program and other rental assistance programs in Sacramento County and serves approximately 12,900 families each month by paying housing assistance payments (HAP) to landlords on behalf of eligible participants. As part of the HCV program, the tenant pays approximately 30 percent of their income towards rent and the remainder is paid by United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds directly to the landlord. During open application periods, applications will be accepted at Please review the City and County HCV Administrative Plan that is required by HUD for additional information about the program.

Finding Housing Using Your Voucher Workshop

This workshop will help voucher holders understand how to be rent ready, how to ensure a unit is affordable and what rent reasonableness is, understanding the application process, and the RFTA/inspection process. This training is open to all voucher holders, but may be mandatory for some voucher extension requests. The workshop will take on every other Monday at 2:30pm.

Register Here


Using Your Voucher to Find a Unit Videos

Payment Standards and Affordability (Video)

Payment Standards and Affordability (PDF)

Source of Income Protections for Housing Choice Voucher Holders

Visit the Site

Small Area Fair Market Rents (SAFMR)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Current Participants

Below are a list of frequently asked questions for current HCV Program participants. If you have questions related to the Public Housing Program, click here. If you would like information about applying for assistance click here. Please contact us at 916-440-1390 for additional assistance.

General HCV Program Questions

How to Find and Keep Housing Using Your Voucher Video

Walkthrough of Resident Portal

Reporting Household Changes

Reasonable Accommodation Information

How to contact HCV Program Staff

Quick Links:

Online Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA)

You can now complete a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) online! Visit to start.

The RFTA packet is the formal documentation that is completed to begin the lease-up process with the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program.

The Landlord will start the process by going to Landlords will then complete the online RFTA which takes about 20 minutes.

 The Resident will want to provide the Landlord their:

  • TCode
  • First and Last Name
  • Phone number
  • Email address (important since this is how Resident’s will sign!)

Port In/ Port Out Procedures

The Sacramento County Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is currently billing for voucher holders who move into Sacramento County or “port-in” from other public housing agencies (PHAs).  This is subject to change at any time.

We are required by regulation to “accept” but other agencies need to know if we are absorbing or administering.

Porting in to Sacramento County:

Once the HCV participant receives portability approval, the initial PHA must contact SHRA and submit the following documentation:

  • Form HUD-52665
  • Copies of income verification forms
  • Copy of the voucher
  • Permanent records
  • Copy of the most recent Form HUD-50058
  • Enterprise Income Verification (EIV)
  • Housing choice voucher holder contact information

After SHRA receives all necessary documentation, the HCV participant will be contacted within 14 days to receive an appointment for a Port-In Briefing.

  • Port-In briefings are held every Thursday by appointment only.
  • All adult members of the household that are porting in must pass a criminal background check.

The HCV participant can continue with the leasing process pending the outcome of the criminal background check on all adult household members.

If the criminal background check shows that a family member has a conviction that consists of violence or drugs within the last three years, the file will be sent to the Admission Review Team (ART).

  • If the ART team approves the family, then SHRA will proceed with leasing the family up.
  • If the ART team denies the family, the family will be denied and their file will be sent back to the initial Housing Authority

The PHA must permanently deny assistance to applicants or participants to the HCV program if the PHA determines that any member of the household has ever been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamine or is a registered sex offender

Submit Documents to:

Attn:  Portability
630 I Street Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: 916-449-1285
Phone: 916-440-1390

Portability packets can be emailed to:

Porting out of Sacramento County:

Current HCV Participants

For voucher holders who live in Sacramento and want to move out of the county, please contact your SHRA caseworker and let them know you would like to port to another jurisdiction.

  • The housing caseworker will determine if you are eligible to port-out.
  • If you owe money to Sacramento County or are in the first year of your lease, you are not eligible to port.
  • If your recertification is due within 4 months of your port date, you will be required to complete a new recertification prior to being put in a movers briefing.
  • If you are eligible to port out of Sacramento you will be given a portability move appointment.

After the portability move appointment, the housing caseworker will prepare your paperwork for transfer to the new (receiving) housing authority and send them your documents.

Translate »