Effective June 30, 2011, acceptance of applications for Agency loans and rebates under the Commercial Revitalization Program is suspended. New applications will not be accepted until further notice.
Since 1985, the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency has assisted the renovation of over 500 commercial properties throughout the City and County of Sacramento. The program provides technical and financial assistance for projects designed to improve the appearance and viability of older commercial buildings, and complements other public and private investment in target areas.
The Commercial Revitalization Program provides exterior rebates and commercial loans to applicants in designated target areas. Funding for improvements is provided as a matching rebate or loan, depending on the location of the project. Property owners must undertake a minimum of $10,000 in improvements to be eligible.
The program is available in certain older commercial districts located throughout the City and County of Sacramento.
As of February 1, 2010, the program has reopened in four commercial districts: Oak Park, Franklin Boulevard, North Highlands, and the Army Depot Area. New applications are being accepted in these areas for eligible projects and properties. All other areas remain closed for new applications.
Questions about the Commercial Revitalization Program may be directed to Molly Oser at (916) 440-1328, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Owners and tenants of commercial property located in eligible areas may apply to the program. The majority of applicants are property owners, however, tenants may receive full program benefits with the owner’s written consent to the planned improvements. Tenants may also receive a small rebate for signage in conjunction with the property owner’s full façade rehabilitation project.
Areas that are located in commercial revitalization target areas or designated redevelopment project areas are eligible for assistance under this program. The eligible program areas include address ranges in Oak Park, Franklin Boulevard, North Highlands, and the Army Depot Area. To determine your property’s eligibility for the Commercial Revitalization Program, please call 440-1328.
Eligible Commercial Projects
The following types of improvements are eligible for rebate:
- Storefront Renovation
- Signs, Graphics
- Windows, Shutters, Awnings
- Exterior Lighting
- Soft Costs including Professional, Architectural and City/County Permit Fees
- Roof Repair or Replacement (Rebates for roof repair/replacement are allowed if done in conjunction with storefront improvements. The rebate for roof work cannot exceed 10% of the total rebate amount.)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title 24 Energy Efficiency Compliance (Ten percent (10%) of the rebate amount can be used for interior and exterior ADA/Title 24 compliance).
Ineligible Commercial Projects
- Big Box retailers (larger than 50,000 square feet) outside of redevelopment areas.
- Liquor Stores (defined as a store that has more than half of the shelf inventory devoted to liquor/beer/wine).
- Adult entertainment enterprises.
- Auto dealerships larger than 1 acre in size.
- Updating of national corporate or franchise stores is not eligible unless the renovation is part of a larger project and the building is deteriorated. These businesses are eligible if the rebate will assist in the retention of the business at the location or if the building is vacant.
Historic Properties and Districts
Properties that are considered “historic properties” are eligible for up to a $75,000 rebate. Historic properties are defined as those buildings that are listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings, are located within a historic district or are listed on the state or local inventory of historic places. The rebate can apply to interior or exterior improvements which are required to maintain the historic character of the structure.
Commercial Loan Program
The Commercial Loan Program is designed to stimulate building improvements and upgrade the appearance of commercial properties in commercial revitalization target areas. This program is designed to provide gap financing in combination with a private lender. The maximum loan amount under this program is $500,000.