As an entity of the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency, the Housing Authority administers the Public Housing program on behalf of the City and County of Sacramento.
The Housing Authority owns and manages more than 3,000 public housing units known as Conventional Housing within the City and County of Sacramento. These housing units consist of a variety of apartments, duplexes and single family homes.
Participation in the Public Housing Program requires a pre-application to be submitted to determine eligibility for the program.
Apply for Public Housing
Pre-applicants are placed on a wait list and are contacted when a housing unit for which they are eligible becomes available. Other requirements must be met in order to be eligible for public housing.
A criminal background and landlord reference check is required prior to admission into the program.
To apply for Public Housing, click here to find out about housing opportunities and wait lists.
Additional information about the application process is provided below.
Notice of Open and Closed Wait Lists
Wait lists for the Public Housing (CNV) and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program will be open or closed for selected sites and bedroom units effective Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5 p.m., until further notice.
Click here to see the list of sites and bedroom units. Apply online for open wait lists using any device with Internet access at www.sacwaitlist.com.
Informal Hearing Process
When the Housing Authority determines that an applicant has not met the requirements for the program, the family will be notified of the Housing Authorities decision in writing. The notice will contain:
- The reason(s) they are ineligible
- The procedure for requesting a review if the applicant does not agree with the decision
- The time limit for requesting a review.
The applicant will be given the option of presenting oral or written reasons why they disagree with the decision of the Housing Authority. Both the Housing Authority and the family may present evidence and witnesses. The family may use an attorney or other representative to assist them at their own expense.
As a reasonable accommodation, the review may be conducted by telephone.
After the Housing Authority has completed the review the family will be notified in writing of the decision made by the Housing Authority. The Notice shall include the decision, and an explanation of the reasons for the decision.
When the Housing Authority makes a decision regarding the eligibility of a family and or the amount of Housing Assistance, applicants must be notified in writing. The Housing Authority will give the family notice of such determinations, which will include:
- The proposed action or decision of the Housing Authority
- The date the proposed action or decision will take place
- The family’s right to an explanation of the basis for the Housing Authority’s decision
- The procedures for requesting a hearing if the family disputes the action or decision
- The time limit for requesting the hearing
Informal Hearings are not required for established policies and procedures and Housing Authority determinations such as:
- Discretionary administrative determinations by the Housing Authority
- General policy issues or class grievances
- Establishment of the Housing Authority schedule of utility allowances for families in the program
- A Housing Authority determination not to approve an extension or suspension of a voucher term
- A Housing Authority determination not to approve a unit or lease
- A Housing Authority determination that assisted unit is not in compliance with HQS (Housing Authority must provide hearing for family breach of HQS because that is a family obligation determination)
- A Housing Authority determination that the unit is not in accordance with HQS because of the family size
- A Housing Authority determination to exercise or not exercise any right or remedy against the owner under a HAP contract.
To contact the Housing Authority about the Public Housing Program, call (916) 440-1390 or click on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.