New housing search tool for landlords and tenants

The Housing Authority has launched a new tool to help bridge the gap between landlords looking to rent their properties and tenants in search of properties to rent.

The new web-based tool, Gosection8.com allows landlords to list an unlimited number of properties, which subsequently gives tenants immediate access to housing opportunities that fit their needs and that is within their search preferences for housing. Try the new tool at sacramento.gosection8.com.

Users can choose to set up an optional profile, at no cost, to aid in their search process. A profile provides the user with the opportunity to save searches and favorite properties for future use. Property owners can access a database of prospective tenants that are actively looking to rent, match their property with a tenant’s needs, and then contact the tenant directly. Gosection8.com also offers free call center support to both owners and tenants.

Users will be directed to an external website over which SHRA has no control. Advertising or other messaging on the Gosection8.com website do not reflect the views of, or pertain to programs or services provided by SHRA.

Choose Where You Want To Live

What’s important to you when choosing your home? A safe neighborhood, good schools, access to public transit, and amenities like parks, retail services, and libraries, etc., are probably your most important priorities.  

SHRA encourages participants in the Housing Choice Voucher program to review information that could help in the decision-making process when choosing their next home. 

Click here to review the most recent data available on crime rates by cities, school district rankings, economic indicators highlighting job opportunities in Sacramento County. Please note the linked document is a spreadsheet with multiple worksheets.

Are You Covered?

Covered California logoThe Sacramento Housing Authority is offering free help for anyone participating in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) or public housing programs, and housing applicants to get information and enroll in an affordable health insurance plan through Covered California before the March 31, 2014 deadline.

Anyone who misses the deadline must wait until the next open enrollment period to apply, which begins October 1, 2014.

Certified enrollment counselors from the Housing Authority are available to explain health plan options, determine eligibility, and help applicants complete the enrollment process. Counselors can also help update household information for anyone who is already enrolled. Anyone currently enrolled in Medi-Cal or Medicare does not need to apply. 

HCV Participant

Find Rental Housing

HCV program participants may search current listings of available Housing Choice Voucher rental units. 
The service is provided free of charge to help you find suitable housing in the Sacramento area.

Property owners maintain this information on our website. SHRA is not responsible for the accuracy of the listing information that owners provide.

Find rental housing

Back to top

Rent Calculations 

The Housing Choice Voucher Program uses a Payment Standard. 

The family’s portion of rent plus a utility allowance cannot exceed 40% of the adjusted income on a "new to the program" family lease up or a participant family’s move to a new unit.
The Housing Agency’s utility allowance is now included in the calculations. Gross rent equals the contract rent plus the utility allowance. Copies of the utility allowance are included in the Movers packet that is given to the participant with the transfer to move.
The family’s Total Tenant Payment (TTP) is the highest of 30% adjusted monthly income, 10% total monthly income or 25. The family’s TTP is indicated on the voucher.
Subtract the TTP from the lesser of gross rent or the regular payment standard to obtain the housing subsidy amount.
The difference between the contract rent and the subsidy is the amount the family pays.
(Based on a 2 bedroom unit in the city area)
Gross Rent $1,000 contract rent + $100 utility allowance
Payment Standard
(Lesser of gross rent or the payment standard)
Minus the TTP
Equals the Subsidy Amount
Contract Rent
Minus the Subsidy Amount
Equals the Family’s Rent

How to Move

The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) issues transfer vouchers to both Voluntary and Involuntary Moves. 

Involuntary Move: When you receive a request to move from the landlord or the Housing Authority (HA)
You must provide the HA with a copy of any notice to move received from your landlord.
If additional information is needed, a Moving Requirements Transmittal Notice will be mailed to you stating what is required. If you owe money to the Housing Authority, the notice will state the amount owed and you MUST be current in making re-payments before the HA can schedule you for a transfer briefing.
NOTE: If the notice you receive from your landlord indicates that a family violation has been violated that could lead to termination of your program eligibility, the Housing Authority may not issue a transfer voucher to you until any pending action is resolved.
Upon completion of all requirements, your Housing Specialist will either phone you or send a written notice of the appointment date and time to pick up your transfer documents. The appointment must be kept in order for you to receive your transfer documents.
Voluntary Move: When you give your landlord and the HA a 30-day notice to move
You must submit in writing your request to move. Forms are available at the counter of the HCV department located at 630 I Street.  You will be scheduled for a movers (transfer) briefing once your notice is received. You will be given full instructions on how to complete the moving process in the movers briefing.
NOTE: The same requirements apply as Involuntary Move: the HA may not issue a transfer voucher if you owe the HA any money or if you have violated any of the family obligations.

Family Self-Sufficiency Program

The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program is open to families participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program who are unemployed or underemployed. It is also open to Public Housing Residents as well. The objective of this program is to assist these families in obtaining employment that will allow them to become self-sufficient, that is, not dependent on welfare assistance.

Program participants entering the FSS program work with a case manager to develop goals that will, over a 5-year period, lead to self-sufficiency when the contract of participation is signed. These goals may include education, specialized training, job readiness and job placement services, and career advancement objectives.

When the participant meets their goals and completes their FSS contract, the family becomes eligible to receive funds deposited into an escrow account on their behalf throughout the family’s participation in the FSS program. The amount of escrow in the account is based on increases in the family’s earned income during the term of the FSS contract.

For further information on this program, please contact the FSS coordinator at (916) 440-1390.

Reasonable Accommodation

What is a “reasonable accommodation”?

A “reasonable accommodation” is a change, exception, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice, or service that may be necessary for a person with a disability to havean equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the housing programs. A reasonable accommodation must be requested, preferably in writing, in order for it to be considered and the disability and the need for an accommodation must be verified.

Can the Housing Authority deny a request for a reasonable accommodation?

Yes. A Housing Authority can deny a request for a reasonable accommodation if:

  • the disability is not verified;
  • there is no disability-related need for the accommodation;
  • the accommodation is not reasonable;
  • it would impose an undue financial and administrative burden on the Housing Authority.
  • The determination is made on a case-by-case basis;
  • it would fundamentally alter the nature of the Housing Authority’s operations; or there is an alternative available other than the requested accommodation

Must the Housing Authority provide a reasonable accommodation if it has not been

No. The Housing Authority only considers reasonable accommodations when a request has been made.

Our reasonable accommodation policy can be found at www.shra.org/Housing/PublicHousingProgram/AnnualPlans.aspx

Report Fraud

Anyone who suspects that program abuse or fraud is being committed by persons involved with SHRA housing programs is encouraged to report it to the Housing Authority immediately.

Be prepared to provide verifiable information such as tenant name, address, and any additional details about the suspected abusive / fraudulent activity and who else may be involved.

There are several ways to report program abuse.

You may contact us by phone at (916) 440-1381 and leave a confidential message.

Or you may complete the Program Abuse Report form by clicking on the link below.

To report disturbances and / or property upkeep, please contact the landlord. To identify the property owner contact the Sacramento County Assessor’s Office at 916-875-0700

Program Abuse Report Form

What constitutes program abuse or fraud?

Here are a few examples:

  • Family has additional occupants living in the home without approval from the Housing Authority.
  • Family has undeclared income or assets.
  • Family uses false documents, such as false birth certificates or marriage licenses.
  • Family subleases all or part of the unit.
  • Family owns or has interest in the unit.
  • Unit is occupied by both the owner and family (exception for Shared Housing)
  • Owner charges/collects additional payments from the family not agreed upon in the lease.
  • Owner knowingly accepts Housing Authority payments for a vacant unit.

Related Links

Legal Services of Northern California - Fair Housing and Landlord/Tenant issues
California LifeLine Program - Discounted basic Telephone (landline) services to eligible California Households